As you read through Mark chapter 6 there is just a lot happening.
- Jesus returns to Nazareth and the people are astounded and offended by his words.
- Jesus takes the disciple to the surrounding villages and continues his teaching
- Jesus sends the twelve out in pairs, giving them authority over unclean spirits and instructing them to preach a message of repentance
- Herod has heard about Jesus and thinks he might be John the Baptizer raised from the dead and begins to keep an eye on Jesus
- Jesus feeds the crowd of 5,000
- The disciples set out in the boat for Bethsaida and a storm blows in. Soon we find Jesus walking across the sea to them.
- And as soon as they landed, people began bringing the sick to be healed.
Quite a chapter.
But in the middle of it all there is a paragraph that is often lost in the busyness of the ministry that is happening. One that we would do well to read and re-read.
“Those who had been sent out rejoined Yeshua and reported to him all they had done and taught. There were so many people coming and going that they couldn’t even take time to eat, so he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a place where we can be alone, and you can get some rest.” Mark 6:30-31 JNT
Read that again.
When was the last time you sat down and talked to Jesus about all you had done and taught, all that you were doing in His name. Not as a “Hey Jesus, look at all I’m dong for you” report. But as a time to reflect and remember all that is happening around you in the Kingdom.
More importantly, have you taken Jesus up on his invitation to go with him, by yourself, to a place you can be alone and get some rest?